What we expect you to know
You should know, what these terms mean and you should be able to explain them in your own words.
totipotency . tissue culture . genetic engineering . chemical engineering . enhancer trap . FACS . flow cytometry . laser ablation . laser-capture microdissection . SNAP tag . aquaporins . microinjection . cell permeating peptides . peptoids . laser tweezer . caged compounds . optogenetics
1. Which cells of your body are totipotent?
2. How can the following molecules pass the plasma membrane barreer? water, glucose, NaCl, insulin, the membrane-penetrating peptoid CoQ, the natural auxin indole acetic acid?
3. You want to test, which genes are differentially expressed in the quiescent center (few cells in the central part of the root) compared to other epidermal cells. Describe an experimental strategy to get sufficient material for doing this experiment.
4. You heard about an approach to engineer a light-switchable nuclear transport of a protein. Do you know natural proteins that are doing this already without engineering?
5. For which of the following cell types FACS is feasible
blood cells . skin cells . plant protoplasts . cambial cells in the tissue context